1. In certain types of poisoning, immediately give large quantities of soapy or salty water in order to induce vomiting.
2. He was mystified by the look on the stranger’s face.
3. I was horrified to see the child about to cross the expressway alone.
4. The secretary left after weeks of harassment by the manager of her department.
5. It is very discourteous to intrude during someone’s conversation.
6. The Civil War in 1863 cut the United States into two nations – a southern Confederacy and a northern Union.
7. Relaxation therapy teaches one not to fret over small problems.
8. Proximity to the court house makes an office building more valuable.
9. The new amphitheater was based on the ancient Greek design.
10. Primary education in the United States is compulsory.
11. The fer-de-lance, a kind of viper, is one of the most poisonous snakes.
12. In the early days of baseball, the game was played by young men of means and social position.
13. Mounting evidence indicates that acid rain is damaging historic sites in Boston and Philadelphia.
14. Carpets from countries such as Persia and Afghanistan often fetch high prices in the United States.
15. Though many scientific breakthroughs have resulted from mishaps, it has taken brilliant thinkers to recognize their potential.
16. A multitude of people attended the fund-raising presentation in the mall.
17. Jan took many snapshots while on vacation in Europe.
18. John was not promoted because his work did not meet the manager’s expectations.
19. Ralph Nader always speaks out about everything.
20. Unorganized guessing will not raise a test score as significantly as choosing one letter as a “guess answer” for the entire examination.