|I. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]|
What points do you consider most when going out to see a movie (e.g., movie theme or content, ticket price, show times, theater seating and sound system, etc.)?
HELPFUL TIP: Ticket prices are often cheaper earlier in the day at move theaters, so if you’re on a budget, you might try going to the matinee (early afternoon) showing.
|II. Listening Exercises [Top]|
Listen to the conversation by pressing the “Play Audio” button and answer the questions. Press the “Final Score” button to check your quiz.
Hello and thank you for calling Riverview Cinemas, the city’s finest theaters with stadium seating. Box office opens 45 minutes before show time.
Movies currently playing include: Return to Mars II, rated PG 13 with a run time of 1 hour 53 minutes, showing at 12:00, 2:15, 5:00, and 7:20; Road Trip. rated R, a run time of 1 hour 49 minutes at 11:15, 1:20, 3:45, and 6:05; Go for the Gold, rated PG. Run time, 1 hour 37 minutes. Playing at 11:50, 2:00, 4:15, and 6:30, and Friends Forever, rated G, at 12:10, 2:00, 3:50, 6:15, and 8:30. Run time, 1 hour 32 minutes. These times are valid through the 17th of the month.
Matinee tickets are $2.00 before 4:00 p.m. for all patrons. Regular tickets are $6.00 for adults, $2.50 for children 3-11, and $4.50 for ages 12-17. Seniors are only a buck fifty. All tickets on Tuesdays are $2.00. You can also purchase tickets online. No wait, no lines.
We’re located downtown on 1313 South 260 East, kitty-corner the Richards Science Museum. Visit our website for up-to-date information.
|Key Vocabulary [Top]|
- finest (adjective): best, superior quality
– This is the finest theater you will find in all of the city.
- PG 13 (adjective): parental guidance strongly suggested for children under 13. Some material might be inappropriate for these children
– The movie is rated PG 13 for violence.
- run time (noun): the length of time a movie plays
– Why don’t you can the theater and ask about the run time of the movie, so I know when to pick you up after it’s over.
- R (adjective): restricted, no one under 17 without a parent or guardian
– We don’t allow are kids to watch R-rated movies because they often contain strong language.
- G (adjective): general audience
– This movie is entertaining for all ages, and it’s rated G.
- valid (adjective): applicable, relevant, current
– These movie coupons are valid until the end of the month.
- patrons (noun): customers or attendees
– Patrons are not permitted to bring their own drink and food into the movie theater.
- senior (noun): an older person
– Senior citizens receive discounts on movie tickets.
- buck (noun): informal for dollar
– Some popcorn and a drink only cost a few bucks at that movie theater.
- purchase (verb): buy
– Let’s purchase the movie tickets online so we don’t have to wait in line at the theater.
- kitty-corner (adjective): slanted diagonally across two corners of a street intersection
– The movie theater is kitty-corner the post office on First Street.
- up-to-date (adjective): current or latest
– I always check movie listings online for the most up-to-date information about show times and ticket prices.