|I. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]|
Suppose you have been invited to a party. How would you dress for the occasion? What types of fashionable clothing can you purchase at local stores or even online clothing stores?
HELPFUL TIP: If you are invited to a party, be sure to ask what the dress is for the occasion (i.e., formal or informal). You don’t want to go overdressed or underdressed for such events.
|II. Listening Exercises [Top]|
Listen to the conversation by pressing the “Play Audio” button of the audio type you want to hear, and answer the questions. Press the “Final Score” button to check your quiz.
Jori: Hi Dave. [Hi] Good to see you could make it. Come on in.
Dave: Wow. Looks like the party is in full swing.
Jori: Yeah. And they’re eating me out of house and home. Oh, I’d like you to meet my sister, Carol. She’s visiting for the weekend.
Dave: Oh. Which one is she?
Jori: She’s sitting on the sofa over there.
Dave: You mean the woman wearing the red sweater with the long black hair?
Jori: Yeah. That’s right. Let me introduce you to her. I just know you two will hit it off. You’re both so outgoing and adventurous.
Dave: Uh, and who’s the man sitting next to her? Uh, the man with the suit jacket and flashy green tie?
Jori: Oh, that’s Bob, my karate teacher.
Dave: Karate teacher! I never knew you were into karate.
Jori: Yeah, I started about two months ago. Come on. I’d like you to meet them.
|Key Vocabulary [Top]|
- good to see you could make it : happy to see you could come
– It’s really good to see you could make it.
- full swing (idiom): at its high point
– The party really got into full swing around midnight.
- eat someone out of house and home (idiom): they’re eating all of my food
– My teenagers have huge appetites and are eating me out of house and home.
- hit it off (idiom): get along well
– My roommate and I hit it off from the very first day we moved in.
- outgoing (adjective): very friendly and sociable
– He is very outgoing and always makes newcomers feel comfortable at a party.
- adventurous (adjective): willingness to try new things
– If I were more adventurous, I think I would try mountain climbing.
- flashy (adjective): brightly colored or unusually decorated beyond normal standards
– She tends to wear flashy ski wear during the winter season.