1. When he retired from his job the directors ________ him with a clock.
2. The old sailing boat was ________ without trace during the fierce storm.
3. ________ he comes, don’t forget to phone me.
4. He’s the ________-looking man I have ever met.
5. You can count ________ me if you ever want any help.
6. My favourite ________ is roast beef.
7. At four o’clock Mr Hutchinson still had some ________ to do in the garden.
8. I ________ milk chocolate to plain chocolate.
9. “You can’t have this football back ________ you promise not to kick it at my cat again,” the old lady said firmly.
10. There was so much noise that we could hardly ________ what the speaker was saying.
11. If you want to have a pet you must be ready to look ________ it for several years.
12. I wish I could ________ smoking.
13. The United States ________ from voting at the United Nations yesterday.
14. Mark will be late as usual, but Alec always comes ________ time.
15. He confessed to me that he had just been converted ________ some strange religion.
16. You could have avoided risking ________, General Brown.
17. Before I decided to buy a plane ticket I ________ to the head of the travel agency.
18. Your behaviour is awful. I’m fed up to the back ________ with trying to find excuses for your bad behaviour.
19. Given the Secretary of State’s ________ the President’s foreign policies, he has no choice but to resign.
20. I like current affairs programmes that aren’t afraid to tackle ________ subjects.