1. In Britain home ownership has ________ rapidly since 1960.
2. Nobody ________ that aeroplane crash.
3. The bus was so late reaching the station that I ________ missed my train.
4. The manager did not offer her the job because of her untidy ________.
5. You ________ have seen the Jacobs yesterday – they’re in Australia.
6. The hotel has been built on the ________ of a lake.
7. His performance was ________; the audience was delighted.
8. Please ________ your bill before you leave the shop and make sure that it is correct.
9. It’s difficult to see through the windscreen – I can’t even make ________ where the road is.
10. I found the book rater dull, I couldn’t read it ________.
11. She has to work hard to keep the house ________ and tidy with three small children.
12. How much have you borrowed ________ me already?
13. This warm coat will protect you ________ the cold.
14. Spies may have a number of ________ names and papers.
15. He was ________ after he had packed for the holidays.
16. If I had known about it, I ________ him to go.
17. You ________ better be careful not to miss the train!
18. I hope you don’t mind me ________ so late at night.
19. As cunning as a ________ = very clever, very smart.
20. Archaeology is one of the most interesting scientific ________.