1. The evolution of vertebrates suggests development from a very simple heart in fish to a ________ in man.
2. She didn’t know ________ when his boss called.
3. John’s score on the test is the highest in the class; ________.
4. North Carolina is well known not only for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park ________ for the Cherokee Indian settlements.
5. After the assassination attempt, President Reagan’s doctor suggested that he ________ a short rest at Camp David.
6. When sugar ________ to yeast, fermentation takes place.
7. A good student must know________
8. Richard was asked to withdraw from graduate school because ______
9. Once an offending allergen has been identified ________ tests, it is possible for the doctor to give specific desensitizing injections.
10. One of Shaw’s ________, “Pygmalion”, was the story that formed the basis for the musical play “My Fair Lady”.
11. Not only ________ atoms with their microscopes, but they now can also “feel” them with the aid of a versatile sensing device called the “magic wrist.”
12. Groups of tissues, each with its own function, ________ in the human body.
13. The Immigration and Naturalization Service often ________ their visas if they fill out the appropriate papers.
14. It is necessary ________ the approaches to a bridge, the road design, and the alignment in such a way as to best accommodate the expected traffic flow over and under it.
15. ________, the outer layer of the skin, contains pigments, pores, and ducts.
16. Rarely ________ acorns until the trees are more than twenty years old.
17. Children usually turn to their parents rather than ________ for protection from threats in the environment.
18. Malaria, which can be fatal if left untreated, is transmitted by the female, ________ by the male, mosquito.
19. Indiana University, one of the largest in the nation, is located ________ town.
20. ________ the best car to buy is a Mercedes Benz.