I. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]
If you don’t have a good map of the city you are visiting, you might have to ask a lot of questions to find yourself around. Look at the expressions below and be sure to understand the meaning of the places on the map before you begin the listening activity:
- go straight
- go down this road
- turn right/left
- drive along this street
- walk down this avenue
- Excuse me? Do you know where the school is?
>>> It’s next to the post office.
|II. Listening Exercises [Top]|
Listen by pressing the “Play Audio” button. Then, choose TRUE or FALSE for each sentence, which may be missing one or more words. Press the “Final Score” button to check your quiz.
- First, walk down Green Street for two blocks. Then, yurn right and the bank is the third building on the left side. (7)
- Go straight down Yellow Street until Blue Street. The school is on the corner of Yellow Street and Blue Street. (19)
- Drive along Green Street to White Street and turn right. Next, go straight one block, cross Brown Street, and the library is the first building on the right corner. (22)
- First, go down Yellow Street for one block, turn left, and then go to the first intersection. Then, keep going straight, and the hotel is the second building on the left. (13)
- Walk along Green Street until Black Street. Then, turn right and go straight, and the church is the last building at the end of the street on the left. (9)
|III. Post-Listening Exercises [Top]|
Using the same map below, give directions to a partner and see if he or she can find the right building.