|I. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]|
Whether you are on a sightseeing trip through Europe or backpacking in Australia, finding your way around the city while on vacation can be difficult unless you know what to say. Understanding directions is a big part of this. Look at the expressions below and be sure to understand the meaning of the places on the map before you begin the listening activity:
- across from
- in front of
- next to
- Excuse me? Do you know where the school is?
>>> It’s next to the post office.
|II. Listening Exercises [Top]|
Listen by pressing the “Play Audio” button. Then, choose TRUE or FALSE for each sentence, which may be missing one or more words. Press the “Final Score” button to check your quiz.
- The hotel is next to the bank (True).
- The zoo is opposite the police station. (True)
- The library is between the post office and the supermarket. (False)
- The bowling alley is on East Street. (False)
- The bar is on the corner of West Street and South Street. (True)
- City hall is in front of the library. (False)
- The hospital is near the bus station. (True)
- The zoo is behind the post office. (False)
- The bowling alley is behind the bookstore. (True)
- The school is between the bus station and the police station. (False)
|III. Post-Listening Exercises [Top]|
Draw a neighborhood map of the area where you live (or a place you know well like a school or your work). Write the names of buildings and stores in the area. Then, talk about the map. Another idea is to find a map of a famous area or place in your city and tell a partner how to get there from other locations (for example, your home).