1. Lend me 20 $, please, John. I’m ________ at the moment.
(B) down the drain
(C) stuck up
(D) a bit thick
2. I haven’t had an accident yet but I had a number of ________ shaves.
3. I’ve heard that argument before and quite frankly it just doesn’t ________!
(A) face the music
(B) hit the nail on the head
(C) carry weight
(D) hold water
4. I don’t like turning down work, but I’ll have to, I’m afraid. I’ve got far too much ________ at the moment.
(A) up my sleeve
(B) on my plate
(C) on my mind
(D) in effect
5. Unfortunately, somebody spoke to a reporter, and the whole thing ________.
(A) poured forth
(B) spilled over
(C) leaked out
(D) splashed down
6. He waited in the ________ for the front door to open.
7. A child will ________ half an hour of your complete attention.
8. Driving with ________ brakes endangers not only yourself but also all other road users you encounter.
9. From his palace, this subtle and abstemious man ________ an immense power.
10. The new safety regulations were agreed on after ________ with the work-force.
11. When I learned that I had passed the examination I felt ________ and relaxed.
12. The old house had low ceilings supported by thick wooden ________.
13. If you put too many potatoes in that bag, it will ________.
14. The Minister declared that a further period of pay ________ was essential during the present economic crisis.
15. There are some interesting old ________ on the tombstones in St Mary’s churchyard.
16. Everything possible was done to ________ the suffering of the wounded soldiers.
17. That unfortunate woman was ________ to insults from all her fellow workers.
18. The witness told many lies in court and so committed ________.
19. Peter tells me he is ________ the Queen’s horse in the Derby.
20. The new trainee had been very slack in his work, and was told to ________ or he would be out of a job.
(A) pull his socks up
(B) gain the upper hand
(C) raise his sights
(D) take the plunge